Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tis the Season

As a child I remember my mama putting the Christmas tree up every year on Thanksgiving night. This year I decided to pass that little tradition from my mama onto our family. I have been really excited to start decorating for William's first Christmas, and honestly that is the biggest reason that I did it. The comforting thought in that is that I know I get that from my mama. The excitement.... and a little impatience too. I wonder if she felt as I did unable to wait any longer anticipating the start of the most wonderful time of the year. Having a child really has made it so magical.
We received two special ornaments last year to represent our year in 2009. One is a little stocking that says Just Married on it with our wedding date and names. The second one is this snowman. It reads "We are having a baby in 2010."

I love adding to my Christmas collection. I have bought a few things every year for the last 2-3 years. This year though I have been given a few things that I will cherish for years to come.
I haven't found a baby's first Christmas ornament yet, but Angela got this one for William to hang on the tree. It is one of the cutest things I ever seen. It really represents our year too.
This has been an awesome year for the South Carolina Gamecocks. They won the college world series in baseball, beat the #1 team in the nation in football and for the first time they won the SEC East title.
We attributed all of their success to the birth of William of course.
So I feel that this a fitting family ornament for the year 2010.My friend Amanda hand painted and gave us this little cutie. I know how much time and work goes into making something for someone. I was really touched when I opened the gift from her.
For some reason I just love this ornament. I have had it about 2 years. I think I got it for a dollar somewhere. Something about it just makes me warm and fuzzy. Okay, I cant believe I wrote that. Anyway, I just think it is really beautiful and vintage looking. I don't have an actual nativity scene so in a way it serves that purpose. Jesus is a toddler though. I think it kind of looks like my little family in a way.
This last one is really special. This weekend William and I were over at Aunt Theresa's house helping her put ornaments on her tree. She has so many. Each one she unwrapped had a story, some were 45-50 years old. I wish that someone pulled out ornaments every year with a story of me as a child. I really long for things to reflect my childhood at times. And sitting with her, I silently wished that I knew if there was ever an ornament for my first Christmas. As we looked at each one, from so many different years I came across one from the year I was born. In passing I just said "hey that's the year I was born." When we went to the put the ornament on the tree, Aunt Theresa said that she wanted me to have it. She said that she bought it for me 26 years ago and is just now getting around to giving it to me. Tis the season.......

No comments:

Post a Comment